Friday, October 12, 2007

To Cert or Not to Cert... That is the question.

Posted by RedSkies

When I got an email from our one of my Professors through a Yahoo Group about the an examination, I YMed one my classmate about it and he said he'll be taking the exam and has been reviewing. I on the other hand was quite excited about it but at the same time, I'm having doubts whether I should register or not. My classmate has been urging me to take the exam. Atleast the first part of the exam like he plans to. But the problem is... I'm not confident enough and having doubts if I would pass it. You see, I've been using the "technology" quite sometime now and was known in our school as one of the "geeks" who have the patience and enthusiasm to play with it. But even though I have that reputation, I doubt if my skill is enough to pass the exam and I would probably end in same and a thousand pesos poorer than I am right now. I thought about it for two days and browsed the materials available to me and my classmates that our professor provided us during the training. After that, I said to myself, "the heck, I'll just register and then review 'til the payment day and if I'm not sure about it, I'll just not show up on the payment day"

Just now, I received a confirmation email for that certification exam I registered earlier. I won't go into too much details about what exam it is or how much is it. The exam will be held on November here in the Philippines... It's a two-part exam. I'll just take the first part because of the ff. reasons:

1. Uncertainty and doubt in skill. Yeah, everyone must have felt this when they're skill are asked to be put on a test and they themselves are not sure about their skills even if other people believe you can. I remember back in my thesis days where I'm really irritated about how bad my website looks like and the frustrations of knowing I could have done better with my other good ideas if only I have the skill to create those ideas. But, the weird part is, my group mates sees it the other way when they look in my creation. For them, it's simple, very user-friendly and really nice. And most of the people who sees it are quite impressed and my group mates were proud enough to show it off.

2. Fear of Shame. When you are uncertain with your skill and everyone who knows you is 100% sure that your very good at it, you're most likely not to show your skill because you don't want to be laughed at by people or stain your reputation.

3. Not Enough Money. Actually, the exam very cheap compared to other certification and since I have a job, this one shouldn't be a big problem. But still, since I'm not sure about the exam, It would be a waste to pay for the 1st and 2nd part only to fail.

0 comments: