Saturday, April 14, 2007

The Dawn of User Friendly Linux

Posted by RedSkies

I've just finished installing Foresight Linux 1.1 in my desktop. Even though I haven't evaluated most of it's features, I can say that the look and feel of some new Linux distros nowadays are starting to be like MAC OSx. Stability, Robustness and Reliability of a *nix platform and easy to use front-end/GUI like the OSx. Why? after I installed Foresight Linux w/c is soo insanely simple compared to how I've experienced hell from installing and using Slackware 9 when I was starting about 3 years ago, it has successfully detected ALL my hardware! It detected my ATI Graphic Card, my network, successfully configured my sounds, etc.. Aside from that, Youtube's Flash-based player is working instantly after I've selected a video! Now, if you tried other distro like Ubuntu(w/c is another very friendly distro btw), you still have to download or install a flash plugin to be able to run or view your Youtube video... Yes, its fairly easy to do especially for computer enthusiast like us. But for an ordinary user who only uses their computer for internet surfing, doing some documents or presentation and other ordinary stuff.....I don't think so. Anyway, after doing that, I let my sister(an incoming highschool student) to check her Multiply. And to my delight, she wasn't confused at all in a new environment!!!! That's freakin' great! And the only reason she wants to switch back to the Windows hard drive is only because her personal files are obviously not on the linux partition. hehehe great!

Just like what I'm saying early, Linux distros are getting much easier to use. More and more groups/communities nowadays are doing their best to provide an easy to use Linux distro. That's great! someday, Linux will have a large market share not only on the server market but also for the ordinary people. And when that days comes, I'll be there to provide them moral and technical support. :P cheers!!!

btw, if you want to try some free and user friendly Linux try...   Foresight Linux, Ubuntu, or Sabayon Linux.. 
You can also try LIVE CDs like Knoppix that you don't need to install unless you want it 
permanent in your computer This are what my friend call's a "Kid's Linux". But hey, if it's
LINUX and if it's open source, you can still customize it the way you want! :P

0 comments: